Several miles of Lake Michigan beach including sand dunes, marsh, and ponds.

Ornithological Summary

Between 2002 and 2006 Ludington State Park and Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness has supported between 1 and 7 nesting pairs of the endangered Great Lakes population of Piping Plovers.

Ownership

35% owned by Ludington State Park (Michigan Department of Natural Resources) with the remaining 65% owned by US Forest Service (Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness).

Land Use

Predominate use is wilderness/conservation, with a large amount of human recreational use such as swimming and ATV use.

Stay abreast of Audubon

Our email newsletter shares the latest programs and initiatives.