Fort Foster was built in 1872 and remained active until 1949. A long pier extends off shore providing excellent views of Whaleback Lighthouse and Jerry's Point Lifesaving Station as well as the waters in between. On a clear day, the Isles of Shoals lighthouse is visible.
Fort Foster is an excellent spot for migrating songbirds. As many as 90 species of birds have been recorded from this site. The pier offers a great platform for viewing water birds off shore (see Portsmouth Harbor description below).
This is a popular tourist attraction during the summer with thousands of visitors annually. Some disturbance is inevitable with that degree of human use. Other threats are believed minimal.
Fort Foster is owned by the Town of Kittery. The park is open May through Labor Day with an admission fee of $10 per vehicle, including all occupants. Information is available at (207) 439-0333 or (207) 439-2182. Access is via Pocahontas Road in Kittery Point.