This IBA consists of the forested dry slopes and ridgelines within the Greenbrier River Drainage in Greenbrier County, West Virginia. It includes contiguous forested habitat >750 hectares inclusive of elevations between 2100-3500 feet.

Ornithological Summary

During field work conducted for the Cerulean Warbler Atlas Project, 40 individual birds were counted at this site. As a result, this site ranked as fifth for the highest no. of Cerulean Warblers for all West Virginia sites surveyed during the atlas project (Rosenberg et al. 2000). Although the 40 individual bird tally at this site does not meet the A1 Global IBA criteria of 45 individual birds during the breeding season, it is generally accepted by those involved in the CEWA atlas project that the data represent underestimates of actual site populations. It is very likely the real number of individual birds at this site exceed the A1 threshold of 45 individual birds during the breeding season.

The large contiguous interior forests within this IBA are also important habitat to interior forest dwelling species such as Broad-winged Hawks, Ruffed Grouse, Wild Turkey, Pileated Woodpecker and a suite of neotropical migrant passerines such as flycatchers (Great-crested, Eastern Pewee), vireos (Red-eyed, Yellow-throated), Warblers (Ovenbird, Black and White, Hooded, Worm-eating, and American Redstart).

Conservation Issues

Conservation concerns and Issues in the region include the following (all of which have implications for avian conservation) : ? Contiguous forest fragmentation especially due to coal mining via mountain top removal. ? Lack of wildlife ecology data. Population level data is not available for many species of conservation concern. ? Lack of a State Endangered Species Act. ? Invasive Spp. (Japanese knotweed, kudzu, Japanese honeysuckle, Japanese beetles, Gypsy Moth , Emerald Ash Borer , Hemlock Wooly Adelgid etc.). ? Deer overbrowsing

Ownership

Approximately 25% of the IBA extends into National Forest Lands (Monongahela NF). The remaining 75% of the IBA lies within private ownership (multiple parcels and owners).

Habitat

The predominant habitat within this IBA are deciduous forests composed chiefly of a White Oak/ Red Oak/Hickory association. Stands composed predominantly of White Oak occur in limited areas. Drier sites and hilltops are forested predominantly with a Chestnut Oak/Scarlet Oak/Black Oak association. Stands dominated chiefly by Chestnut Oak or Scarlet Oak occur in limited areas. More mesic sites are dominated by a Sugar Maple/Beech/Yellow Birch association.

The site is bisected by the free-flowing Greenbrier River.

Land Use

Aerial views of the landscape reveal abundant evidence of timber extraction within the watershed. Agriculture is limited to a few scattered farms along the upper and lower reaches of the Greenbrier River. Hunting for deer, turkey, and small game is likely to occur within the IBA on private lands.

Stay abreast of Audubon

Our email newsletter shares the latest programs and initiatives.