Neale Woods is over 500 acres of land along the Missouri River just north of Omaha. It consists of mature eastern deciduous forest along with restored prairies and river habitat.
Neale Woods is located in the Missouri River Valley and encompasses over 550 acres of riparian floodplain, wooded loess hills, and restored prairie uplands. It is an important spring and fall migration stopover along the Missouri River flyway for a wide variety of species. The center lists 202 bird species identified, which includes 35 warbler species, among them cerulean and Kentucky. A number of the notable breeding species are wood duck, northern bobwhite, yellow- and black-billed cuckoo, whip-poor-will, red-headed woodpecker, acadian flycatcher, wood thrush, yellow-throated vireo, dickcissel, and field sparrow.
Fontenelle Nature Association began in 1913 as the Fontenelle Forest Association, when a group of area scholars and businessmen decided to start their own non-profit organization with the intent of preserving land along the Missouri River. Today, the FNA owns and operates both Fontenelle Forest and Neale Woods Nature Center.
In 1971 the FNA accepted a gift of 120 acres of land from Miss Edith Neale, north of Omaha on the Washington/Douglas county line. Miss Neale's father had homesteaded this land in the mid-1800's (along with his two brothers), and she wished it to be preserved in a state similar to how her ancestors had known it. This was the beginning of Neale Woods Nature Center.
In subsequent years another 60 acres of contiguous land was donated by Carl Jonas, whose father had been a founding member of the FNA; it is Carl's former home that has been modified into the current interpretive center at Neale Woods. In addition, bequests from Carl Jonas' estate allowed the FNA to purchase 112 more acres; twenty-five of these acres have been cleared and planted as prairies, thought to be representative of the land in the mid-1800's.
In 1995, the FNA added 262 acres to Neale Woods by purchasing the "Krimlofski Tract." These forested lands directly connect Neale Woods to the Missouri River. They include a small pond and stream, a section of bluffs, and about one mile of river frontage.