1) Sponsor: Audubon Magazine, an operating unit of National Audubon Society, Inc., 225 Varick Street, New York, NY 10014 (“Audubon Magazine” or “Audubon”).
2) No purchase necessary.
3) The “Hidden Lives of Owls” (“Sweepstakes”) is open from 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) on October 31, 2016, through 11:59 p.m. ET on November 7, 2016.
4) To be eligible, Entrants must be at least 18 years old as of November 7, 2016, and a resident of the contiguous 48 United States. Employees, officers, and directors of Audubon and any and all entities directly associated with the Sweepstakes, including immediate family members and members of the same household, are not eligible to participate (collectively with Audubon, the “Sweepstakes Entities”). Void where prohibited by law. Sweepstakes are governed by U.S. law and subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. By entering the Sweepstakes, entrants agree to accept and be bound by all the terms of these Official Rules and Regulations (“Official Rules”).
5) To enter the Sweepstakes, Entrants must leave a comment by logging in with Disqus or a Twitter, Facebook, or Google account on the following article page of Audubon’s website:
https://www.audubon.org/news/how-well-do-you-know-your-north-american-owls. The “Homepage” field on the article page is optional and will have no effect on your chance to win. Email addresses submitted with any Submission must be verifiable. Audubon reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify and remove any Submission and/or entrant at any time, including in the event of any evidence of false or deceptive acts by an entrant, including, but not limited to, multiple Submissions or Submissions reasonably suspected to be generated by script, macro or other automatic means; any Submission determined to be offensive, inappropriate, not in keeping with Audubon’s image or if it is otherwise determined that the entrant has not otherwise complied with any portion of these Official Rules.
6) Only one entry permitted per person.
7) Odds of winning depend on the number of entries received.
8) Three winners will each receive one copy of the book The Hidden Lives of Owls: The Science and Spirit of Nature's Most Elusive Birds, by Leigh Calvez, Sasquatch Books (value: $18.95) (Total value of all prizes: $56.85).
9) Winners will be selected by a random drawing conducted by Audubon Magazine on November 9, 2016, and notified by Audubon Magazine via email on or before November 11, 2016. If within five (5) business days using Audubon Magazine’s reasonable effort, any winner does not respond to Audubon Magazine’s notification email, or otherwise cannot be contacted, or is found to be ineligible, an alternate winner may be selected.
10) Audubon is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate entry information, viruses, bugs, malfunctions, or other any other errors, human or otherwise, regardless of the cause (collectively, an “Error”). In the event of any Error, Audubon reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to discontinue, suspend, cancel, or modify the Sweepstakes. In the event of cancellation, Audubon reserves the right to judge all eligible, non-suspect entries received prior to the Error using the selection procedure outlined above. Prize is subject to availability. No substitution or transfer of prizes or cash redemptions permitted, except at Audubon’s sole discretion.
11) Entrants are solely responsible for the comments they submit, and by posting a comment, represent and warranty that the comment is not defamatory, obscene, hateful, harassing, or discriminatory, nor is a violation of any law, including those protecting privacy, publicity, trade secrets, copyrights or trademarks. Entrants agree to indemnify the Sweepstakes Entities against any third party claim that their Comment breaches these representations and warranties.
12) Audubon reserves the right to substitute for any reason whatsoever a prize (or portion thereof) of comparable or greater value, at its sole discretion. Winners are responsible for the reporting and payment of all taxes as well as any other costs and expenses associated with acceptance and use of their prize not specified herein as being awarded.
13) By entering this Sweepstakes, Entrant grants to the Sweepstakes Entities the right, unless prohibited by law, to use Entrant’s name, city and state of residence, voice, picture and likeness, and comments, without compensation, notification or approval, for the purpose of advertising and publicizing the goods, services and mission of the Sweepstakes Entities, in any manner or medium, now or hereafter known, throughout the world in perpetuity.
14) By entering this Sweepstakes and/or accepting the prize, Entrant and/or winner agrees to, and hereby does, release the Sweepstakes Entities from any and all liability, loss or damage arising from or in connection with their participation or attempted participation in the Sweepstakes and/or the awarding, receipt, use or misuse of the prize or participation in any prize related activities, and claims based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy. The Sweepstakes Entities and their parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates and divisions, and their respective directors, officers, employees, attorneys, representatives and agents make no warranties, and hereby disclaim all warranties, express or implied, concerning any prize furnished or awarded in connection with the Sweepstakes, including, but not limited to, any winner’s ability to claim a prize awarded in the Sweepstakes for reasons of the prize provider’s bankruptcy, insolvency or failure to continue its business. WITHOUT LIMITING THE GENERALITY OF THE FOREGOING, SUCH PRIZES ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AND THE SWEEPSTAKES ENTITIES HEREBY DISCLAIM ALL SUCH WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND/OR NONINFRINGEMENT.
13) You may obtain the name and city of residence of winners by mailing a self-addressed stamped envelope to The Hidden Lives of Owls Giveaway, 225 Varick Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10014, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “The Hidden Lives of Owls winners’ list.”
Get Audubon in Your Inbox
Let us send you the latest in bird and conservation news.
Find Audubon Near You
Visit your local Audubon center, join a chapter, or help save birds with your state program.