Photo: David Restivo, NPS, April 2011, Glacier National Park
Congrats to all who guessed write. This is a Bohemian waxwing (Bombycilla garrulus), cousin to the very similar cedar waxwing. But there are some differences—and the former has some pretty awesome traits of its own.
Take our quiz below to determine how much you know about the Bohemian waxing. Then scroll past the picture below for the answers.
1. True or False: These birds are called “Bohemian” because they make their nests from long, flowing skirts.
2. How do you tell apart Bohemian and cedar waxwings?
a. The cedar waxing has a white brow, the Bohemian doesn’t
b. The Bohemian waxwing has a reddish undertail, the cedar doesn’t
c. The Bohemian waxwing is larger/bulkier
d. All of the above
3. True or False: The Bohemian waxwing doesn’t have a true song.
4. What’s the Bohemian waxwing’s diet of choice?
a. Sugary berries and insects
c. Fish and small aquatic animals
d. None of the above
5. True or False: There are four waxwing species.