Bipartisan Legislation to Fund Wildlife Recovery Introduced in the U.S. Senate

The funding provided will benefit birds, other wildlife, and communities across the United States.

WASHINGTON – Today Sen. Martin Heinrich (D-NM) and Sen. Roy Blunt (R-MO) introduced the Recovering America’s Wildlife Act. The bipartisan legislation, introduced in the House of Representatives earlier this year, will dedicate $1.3 billion for states and territories and $97.5 million to tribal nations annually for proactive, on-the-ground conservation projects, creating over 30,000 jobs and generate over $93 billion in total economic activity.

“The Recovering America’s Wildlife Act will be an important part of how we respond to the loss of 3 billion birds in North America since 1970,” said Sarah Greenberger, senior vice president for conservation policy, National Audubon Society. “The dedicated funding provided in this bill will help state wildlife agencies proactively conserve vulnerable species, like the Golden-Winged Warbler and Black Tern.”

Current funding for state Wildlife Action Plans, collectively about $70 million per year, is less than five percent of what is necessary to conserve the species most at-risk. The Recovering America’s Wildlife Act aimed to help fill the gap. It provides 75 percent of the cost, which equals the $1.3 billion per year outlined in the bill. Each state would be responsible for coming up with the other 25 percent.

“Congress has the opportunity to not only help wildlife, but also the economy and our communities,” said Greenberger.


About Audubon
The National Audubon Society protects birds and the places they need, today and tomorrow. Audubon works throughout the Americas using science, advocacy, education, and on-the-ground conservation. State programs, nature centers, chapters, and partners give Audubon an unparalleled wingspan that reaches millions of people each year to inform, inspire, and unite diverse communities in conservation action. A nonprofit conservation organization since 1905, Audubon believes in a world in which people and wildlife thrive. Learn more at and on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @audubonsociety.