Nov 4, 2022
Please continue to run your Christmas Bird Count (CBC) events in a manner that will ensure you and your volunteers’ health and safety. If a compiler would like to proceed with the CBC, we urge them to abide by the guidelines below.
Audubon is following the Centers for Disease Control guidance on outdoor activities, which advises that there is very little risk of transmission outdoors. However, due to the continuing COVID-19 outbreak, compilers have two options for the 123rd Christmas Bird Count.
Option 1: If local laws allow, run a COVID-19 socially distanced CBC.  Refer to the CDC guidance for your area: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/covid-by-county.html
Option 2: Cancel this season’s CBC for your location if you have concerns for the health and safety of participants.
If you choose to hold your CBC event, below are the guidelines that we urge you to follow:
- Gatherings are at the local compiler's discretion, and participants' health and safety should be paramount. We encourage compilation gatherings be held outdoors, if possible, and urge participants to wear masks indoors and follow local COVID-19 guidelines.
- Refer to CDC and local transmission information to determine whether participants should mask even while outdoors or in the field.
- Carpooling should only occur within existing familiar or social “pod” groups.
- Activities must comply with all current state and municipal COVID-19 regulations.
- Allow for flexibility as it is not possible to know individual or family situations with respect to their home or family risks.
One note: There will be little to no impact on the scientific value of the Christmas Bird Count by missing or altering a count season. So again, we urge you to prioritize your safety and the safety of others when making your decision.
Thank you for all you do for science and birds,
The Audubon Christmas Bird Count Team
Please support a great tradition by donating to the CBC