Compiler Announcements by Email
October 4, 2021
Audubon will fully support any compiler who decides to cancel their count for this year. If a compiler would like to proceed with the CBC, they must abide by the guidelines below.
Dear CBC Compilers,
We hope this message finds you and your loved ones well. We continue to experience unprecedented challenges with COVID, and the most important thing is to ensure you and your volunteers’ health and safety.
Due to the continuing COVID19 outbreak, the122nd Christmas Bird Count has the following requirements. Audubon is following the Centers for Disease Control guidance which says the science suggests that outside there is very little risk of transmission. The two options for Christmas Bird Count compilers are as follows:
Option 1: Run a COVID-19 safe and socially distanced CBC, if local rules allow. [Must wait until November 15 at the earliest to choose this option in order to better understand status of COVID outbreak in your region during the CBC.]
Option 2: If option 1 is not possible, cancel this season’s CBC for your location. [Can choose this option now if you wish.]
If you choose option 1, below are the guidelines that we urge you to follow:
- Wait until November 15 at the earliest to confirm CBC will take place, if local regulations allow.
- Gatherings are at the discretion of the local compiler. We encourage compilation gatherings be held outdoors if possible, but any plans for gatherings should be done with safety for the health of participants as paramount, including wearing masks indoors and following local COVID guidelines.
- Masking is required if social distancing is not possible while in the field.
- Carpooling may only occur within existing familiar or social “pod” groups.
- Activities must comply with all current state and municipal COVID-19 guidelines.
- Allow for flexibility as it is not possible to know individual or family situations with respect to their home or family risks.
If you feel it is not safe to move forward with your CBC and choose option 2, please know that Audubon fully supports your decision to cancel. The safety of our compilers and community scientists will always be our top priority.
One note: There will be little to no impact on the scientific value of the Christmas Bird Count by missing or altering a count season. So again, we urge you to prioritize your safety and the safety of others when making your decision.
Thank you for all you do for science and birds,
The Audubon Christmas Bird Count Team