Date: October 4, 2021
Due to the continuing COVID19 outbreak, the winter and summer 2022 survey periods of Climate Watch will require following the guidance below. All coordinators and volunteers must follow this guidance and select one of two options below pertaining to the 2022 survey periods for Climate Watch. Audubon is following the Centers for Disease Control guidance which says the science suggests that outside there is very little risk of transmission
Option 1: Run COVID-19 safe and socially distanced Climate Watch surveys if local rules allow. This will require following these guidelines for your Climate Watch survey:
- Wait until January 5 for Winter and May 5 for Summer at the earliest to confirm your Climate Watch surveys will take place, if local regulations allow.
- Gatherings are at the discretion of the local coordinator. We encourage gatherings outdoors if possible, but any plans for gatherings should be done with safety for the health of participants as paramount, including wearing masks indoors and following local COVID guidelines.
- Masking is required if social distancing is not possible while in the field.
- Carpooling may only occur within existing family or social “pod” groups.
- Activities must comply with all current state and municipal COVID-19 regulations and guidelines.
Allow for flexibility as it is not possible to know individual or family situations with respect to their home or family risks.
Option 2: If option 1 is not possible, cancel the survey period for your location.
If you feel it is not safe to move forward with the Climate Watch surveys and choose option 2, please know that Audubon fully supports your decision to cancel. The safety of our coordinators and community scientists will always be our top priority.
There will be little impact on the scientific value of Climate Watch by missing or altering the winter survey season. So again, we urge you to prioritize your safety and the safety of others when making your decision.
Please be in touch if you have questions or need more information. Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.