Big Wins for Clean Energy

How victories in four key states can help ladder up to big impacts for birds across the country.

We often say that what’s good for birds is good for people, but we also know the reverse is often true—and renewable energy is no exception. 

Clean energy is one of the most effective tools in our fight against climate change and its harmful impacts on birds. And recent wins in four key states indicate that there is growing momentum for clean energy solutions across the country. 

In May, the Energy Freedom Act of 2019 was passed by the South Carolina General Assembly, which expanded access to solar energy across the state. This good news story arrived on the heels of two more key clean energy victories.  Arkansas passed a solar expansion bill that will allow homeowners and businesses to generate solar electricity. Then, Washington State passed a bill that will phase out coal from its electricity grid by 2025, accelerating the closure of coal plants in Montana and Wyoming that are among the largest sources of climate pollution in the American West. Finally, in June, the New York State Legislature passed the most aggressive climate change legislation in the nation, which calls for New York to eliminate 85% of its overall emissions by 2050, while offsetting or capturing the other 15%.

Audubon worked aggressively in all four states to help deliver the clean energy victories.

“These wins are a powerful lesson that the economics of clean energy is winning and that the public wants solutions. They’ve become models for Audubon’s work in other state and national action. Who knew that Audubon’s bird-lovers would be such a potent political force for change? Not a lot of pundits saw that coming,” said David Yarnold, President and CEO of National Audubon Society on the topic. 

As outlined in Audubon’s new, ground-breaking report, Survival by Degrees: 389 Species on the Brink, our changing climate is the number one threat to birds and people, and Audubon members continue to play critical roles in driving conservation and clean energy solutions. 

Are you interested in working in your communities and beyond to advance climate solutions? Sign up to be a climate advocate today and we’ll provide you with resources to help you take the action we need to create a brighter future for birds and people.

 
“The views expressed in user comments do not reflect the views of Audubon. Audubon does not participate in political campaigns, nor do we support or oppose candidates.”